For almost an year, Chandigarh has been struggling for parking at parking lots for they have been without any contractor. With no parking attendees at the scene, people have been parking as per their whims and fancies and no parking fees meant great loss to the exchequer.
UT Chandigarh administration has been mooting the idea of fully utilising the parking spaces for past few months. Now from June 19, a trial run for a new smart parking system will begin. E-ticketing machines, boom barriers, security booths will be introduced on the first day itself and women attendants will be managing the public parking lots from 7.30 am to 9 pm.
WHAT ALL WILL BE THERE IN NEW SMART PARKING SYSTEM?
- Mobile App: A mobile will be introduced where one can book his parking space and get to know the real-time status of parking. The app will be formally launched after the trial is over. During the trial run, app only for internal communication will be launched.
- Women Attendants: Women attendants will be managing the public parking lots from 7.30 am to 9 pm.
- Special security booths with toughened glasses have been got designed where the attendants will sit.
- E-ticketing machines
- Boom barriers
- Free valet parking for women
- CCTV cameras
- Parking fees: For the first three months, the old parking fee of Rs 5 for a four-wheeler and Rs 2 for a two-wheeler will remain effective. From mid-September, the new parking rates, that is Rs 10 for a four-wheeler and Rs 5 for a two-wheeler, will come into force. The rates will be on an hourly basis.
The new smart parking system is a part of a joint initiative of the Chandigarh Municipal Corporation and Mumbai-based Arya Toll Infra Limited that has been allotted the Rs 14.78-crore parking contract.
Source: The Indian Express
Image Credits: Google Images