Get ready to pay more for parking in Chandigarh. From December 8, the parking rates are set to be doubled in the city. This will affect all the 25 parking lots in the city. These rates will be in effect till March 2018. From April 1, the parking rates will be doubled again.
The municipal corporation had informed about this hike on Thursday. Earlier the parking fare(for 4 hours) for a car would cost Rs 5. Now parking a car will cost at Rs 10. Rs 10 would be further charged for every two hours after the designated parking time. For two-wheelers the rate is Rs 5.
According to the Chandigarh MC, the rates have been increased after transitioning into ‘smart’ parking lots.
This revision in parking prices was approved by the general house of the Municipal Corporation. The second approval was provided by MC commissioner, Jitender Yadav, after physical inspection of the parking lots on December 6.
Reasons for Higher Parking Lot Rates
- Digital signboards – At every single entry point, digital signboards will be installed. These signboards will show status of capacity, occupancy and vacant slots
- CCTV cameras – CCTV cameras at each entry and exit point, plus security cameras in critical corners in the parking lot. These cameras will be centrally connected to a server with data feed sent to the Municipal Corporation.
- E-ticketing machine – An electronic ticketing machine which will be connected to a central server via a computer. No handwritten clips will be used.
- Cones and chains – These are necessary aids for proper and systematic parking. They will also serve as barricades for controlling the entry and exit of vehicles.
- Mobile applications – iOS and Android users can download Arya Smart Parking App where they can get all kinds of information about vehicle parking in the specific parking lot. MC officials can get real-time access to this parking data.
- Smart card-based passes – Smart card monthly passes can be issued as per rates in terms and conditions. Contractor may charge Rs 100 as additional security.
- Branding/advertisement – This is allowed on one side of smart card. The back side of parking slip could also contain such content.
These rates are not applicable to –
- Multi-level parking in Sector 17;
- Parking lot near Fun Republic in Manimajra;
- Parking lot next to Piccadilly multiplex, Sector 34;
- Parking near Elante Mall.
What are your views on this. Drop your views in the comments section given below.
(News Source – Hindustan Times)
(Image Credits – Google Images)