With the increasingly sweltering heat, the poor live in the toughest condition. The basic survival needs become too difficult to fulfill. Coming to the rescue of poor, the Mohali district administration will launch the ‘Sasta bhojan’ scheme. As per the scheme, a meal will be provided to the poor at a marginal cost of Rs. 10.
What is Sasta bhojan scheme?
- The scheme will come in force from May 8, 2017.
- A food packet will be provided to the poor costing just Rs 10
- The packet will contain five chapattis, vegetable and pickle.
- In the initial stage, the scheme will be implemented in the urban area of Mohali. It will be provided at the demarcated places only. The chosen three prominent locations—
- near the District Administrative Complex in Sector 76.
- near the Punjab School Education Board at Phase VIII and
- Civil Hospital Phase VI,
- As many as 500 food packets at each location will be distributed.
- It is reported that the Administration has roped in the District Red Cross Society in cooperation with NGO Istri Shakti to provide food at a cheap rate.
- The scheme will largely benefit the poor and needy persons.
- It will be implemented at the subdivision level from June onwards.
The ‘Sasta bhojan’ has been pre-launched on May 5, 2017. For two days, May 5 and May 6, 300 food packets will be distributed at the Judicial Court Complex from 12.30 pm to 2.30 pm.
The said scheme is on lines of Chandigarh administration’s scheme which also entails to provide inexpensive food to the poor and needy. Contrary to Mohali’s, Chandigarh’s is self-sustained. It is being run with the help of NGOs and corporate social responsibility.
Source: The Tribune
Also read: Brothers Inspiring Story Of Success While Studying Under Street Lights