According to the Performance Grading Index 2017-18, Chandigarh has been ranked best among states and union territories in the field of education.
Other highlights from the report are as follows:
- Kerala and Gujarat are next after The City Beautiful.
- Kerala is the state with highest literacy rate followed by Lakshadweep and Mizoram.
- Haryana is ranked at fourth, followed by Tamil Nadu (5), Punjab (7) and Rajasthan (8).
- Delhi is ranked at ninth.
- Nagaland (35) and Meghalaya (34) held lower ranks in the index.
- Arunachal Pradesh at thirty-six is the least performing state.
As per a senior HRD Ministry official, the states were ranked on basis of five parameters including learning outcomes and quality, access, infrastructure and facilities, equity and governance process.
No More Illiteracy By 2021
In 2017, Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Prakash Javadekar gave the assurance that all Indians will be literate by 2021. He said that post independence the literacy rate was 18 per cent. Today it has gone up to 80 per cent.
How can we completely eradicate illiteracy?
As per Javadekar, students from class 6 to 12 are being trained to be able to pass on their knowledge to their parents and others around them. They are the ones who have been deprived of education. That’s how the nation can eradicate illiteracy.
News Source: India Today