Nostalgic! This is what I felt when I was asked to write about career counselling. Really, the whole process of running from college to college and asking everyone “yaar kya choose karu” came back as it all happened yesterday.
I can totally relate to your mixed feelings – the anxiety, excitement, nervousness, tension and most of all the confusion. Choose your whole future in just days? Like how? The answer for you here is well researched and prepared. Guys and gals, fasten your seat belts because you are going on a journey to your bright future with me. I am going to be your host and guide to help you choose the best options after your 12th class.
Let’s start with Medical Courses after 12th class:
First, National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET). It is the qualifying test for MBBS and BDS programmes in Indian medical and dental colleges. It is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). On the basis of the ranks achieved, counselling and seat allotments are done. The examination, which offers approximately 90,000 seats in MBBS and BDS Colleges of India, is conducted in the month of May every year. However, the options for medical courses after 12th without NEET are endless.
The first and the foremost option that comes instantly to our mind when we say medical is always a Doctor. But, a MBBS doctor is only one of the various doctorates available – M.B.B.S, B.D.S, B.A.M.S, B.H.M.S, B.U.M.S, B.VSc and BPT.
M.B.B.S (BACHELOR OF MEDICAL AND BACHELOR OF SURGERY)
Inspirations and motivations for this profession are endless, with all the heroic deeds they did for all of us during COVID -19, they are in a true sense self-sacrificing. Interestingly, allopathy became a regular and most accepted mode of treatment after the East India Company brought modern medicines with its first fleet of British invaders in order to heal and treat their army troops in the early 1600s.
- This course is in total for 5.5 years, 4.5 years for theory and 1-year internship. A stipend (a fixed amount paid as a salary) is paid during the internship.
- They study Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Microbiology and many more. With each professional year, the subjects like Surgery, E.N.T (ear, nose and throat) Gynaecology, Obstetrics, Radiology and others are added.
- After the completion of this highly prestigious course, M.B.B.S students pledge and take a Hippocratic Oath that states that “I will use my power to help the sick to the best of my ability and judgement, I will abstain from harming or doing any wrong to any man by it.”
Glee with joy! As after this you can proudly add a suffix, Doctor to your name. So, how is the josh, Dr Sahab and Sahibas?
Institutes in and around Tricity:
Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) and Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh, need no introduction they are one of the highly renowned institutes in the country for pursuing this course.
B.D.S (BACHELOR OF DENTAL SURGERY)
Smile while you have teeth and if you lose, then don’t worry you can have your teeth implanted by the tooth doctors. Pierre Fauchard is known as the Father of Dentistry. He is said to be the inventor of dental prosthesis and dental braces. As per some references and texts, dentistry was adopted as a way of treatment back in 7000 BCE near the Indus Valley Civilisation. Tooth decay and tooth worms were treated back then. Dentistry always had an excellent scope in jobs as well as in business measures. Dentists are self-reliant and extremely good earners. A steady and stable profession with cosmetic surgery, tooth whitening and aligning growing with the trend, a very good and one of the best courses after 12th Medical.
BDS Course Details:
- This course is for 5 years, inclusive of a one-year internship, stipends are mostly paid to the interns.
- They study General Pathology, Microbiology, Dental Therapeutics, Preclinical Conservative Dentistry, Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology.
BDS Institutes in and around Tricity:
Sri Sukhmani Dental College in Mohali, Dr Harvansh Singh Judge Institute of Dental Science and Hospital in Chandigarh and Swami Devi Dayal Group of Professional Institute Courses in Panchkula are good options to look for.
B.A.M.S (BACHELOR OF AYURVEDIC MEDICINE AND SURGERY)
This medical stream is in existence from the last 3000 years, originated and cultivated in India, Ayurveda, is one of the oldest systems of treatment and living. With Sushruta referred to as the Father of Surgery and Charak as expertise in medicine, this system has gained popularity all over the world. The Indian government and the AYUSH department have started promoting B.A.M.S and the results are evident, the business and overall interest prospects for this field have increased many folds.
B.A.M.S Course Details:
- This course is 5.5 years with one year of internship, the stipend is paid by some government or private colleges.
- They study Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochemistry along with Padarth Vigyan, Sharir Rachna, Ashthang Hridya, Sharir Kriya and many more the subjects like Chark Samhita, Sushruta Samhita, Kaya Chikitsa, Prastuti Vigyan and Panchakarma are added year by year.
- Ayurvedic students also do study modern Surgery, Medicine, Gynaecology, Obestritcs, E.N.T (ear, nose and throat) and Ophthalmology.
- Ayurvedic students give their exams in Sanskrit, Hindi and English and yes, you need to recite, write and learn shlokas too.
B.A.M.S Institutes in and around Tricity
Shri Dhanvantary Ayurvedic Medical College and Hospital, Sector 46, Chandigarh has an outstanding reputation in education and other facilities.
B.H.M.S (BACHELOR OF HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE AND SURGERY)
Founded by Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann, a German physician in the late 17th century, Homeopathy is another doctorate stream, which is widely admired and popular all over the world. The medications are considered safer and highly effective, and the doctors who pursue this field are denoted as Homeopaths.
B.H.M.S Course Details:
- This course is 5.5 years with 4.5 years of theory and 1.5 years of compulsory internship. It is not specified, but some colleges do pay stipends to the interns.
- They study Organon of medicine with Homoeopathic Philosophy, Homoeopathic Materia Medica, Homeopathic Pharmacy, The Practice of Medicine, Paediatrics and Psychiatry.
B.H.M.S Institutes in and around the Tricity
Homeopathic Medical College and Hospital in Sector 26, Chandigarh, affiliated with Panjab University is the only college in Tricity.
B.U.M.S (BACHELORS IN UNANI MEDICINE AND SURGERY)
Hakim Ajmal Khan is said to be the propagator of Unani medicine and mode of treatment in India. Though Tibb-i-Unani or Unani medication came to India from the Middle Eastern part of the world, it has got its roots uptight in the country. The Doctors once graduated are denoted as Hakims, this stream is one of the oldest forms of traditional medicines and is extensively commercial. If you have any ancestral history in the field then this stream is a mine of gold for you, Dawakhanas are heavily grossing and highly trusted by the patients on all scales.
B.U.M.S Course Details:
- This course is for 5.5 years, 4.5 years of theoretical knowledge and 1 year of compulsory internship, the stipend is not specified and it varies from institution to institution.
- They have 3 professional years or profs (professional years)in total, 1.5 years each and with every ascending year the subjects changes, they study eg. Elmul Advia (Pharmacology), Elmul Amraj wa Elme Hayati Khurd (Pathology and Microbiology), Samaji Tibb (Community Medicine).
B.U.M.S Institutes in and around Tricity
There is no Unani medical college in Tricity so far, but there is one in Sangrur district Punjab – Rehbar Ayurvedic and Unani Tibbi Medical College, Bhawanigarh.
B.V.Sc (BACHELOR OF VETERINARY SCIENCES)
If you are a medical student with a soft spot for animals, then this is the best course after the 12th that you can opt for. With people adopting more pets and animal husbandry growing, vets have become the most favoured doctors around the globe. Father of the modern veterinary sciences was an American physician Dr Jim Harlan Steele, but references to the animals being taken care of and treated are found in the Indian textbook Shalihotra dated back in the 3rd century BCE.
B.U.M.S Course Details:
- This course is for 5 years with a 1 year internship and paid stipend.
- They study Animal Health Science, Animal Behaviour, Parasitology, Pharmacology, Pathology and Animal Diseases.
B.U.M.S Institutes in and around Tricity
There is no veterinary college in Tricity although there are some highly renowned Government colleges in Punjab and Haryana. Khalsa College of Veterinary Sciences (Amritsar), College of Veterinary Sciences (Ludhiana), National Research Center on Equines (NRCE) in Hisar.
B.P.T (BACHELOR IN PHYSIOTHERAPY)
Per Henrik lig is described as the Father of Physiotherapy. In India, Physiotherapy emerged as a secondary treatment for polio after the intense and massive breakout in 1952. No medication was invented yet, and it helped a lot of people during the pandemic. From there it never looked back, it has always mounted high. Physiotherapists are also hired by sports organisations (private or government) for rehabilitation of injuries of normal or serious nature, they are paid quite handsomely.
- This course is for 4 years with 6 months of internship. Stipend is not specified
- They study Human Anatomy, Electrotherapy, Excessive therapy, Physiotherapeutic Skills, Osteology (study of bones and teeth) Myology (study of muscles) and others as per their syllable.
Institutes in and around Tricity
A government college, Mother Teresa Saket College of Physiotherapy in Panchkula is one of the leading colleges for providing medical health and sciences.
More Medical Courses after 12th Class
- Microbiology –They study all unicellular organisms, bacteria, and viruses, for researching the possible diseases caused by them. It takes around 3 years to complete this course.
- B. Pharma –They research and test all the medicines and vaccines that evolve or are manufactured, before making them available to the public. This course is for 4 years.
- Medical Biotechnology –These technologists work on genetic material and on living and non-living cells and then innovate diagnosing and pharmaceutical products.
- B.Sc. Biochemistry –They study DNA and enzymes to understand the effects or side effects of drugs and food on the human biological process. This course is for 3 years, if you opt for this one then mate you have unlocked a series of job opportunities.
- B.Sc. Nursing – One of the most humble and generous professions, where you have to fully dedicate yourself to one and many, right hands of the doctors. They study Anatomy, Physiology, Psychology and Chemistry. They are very well trained to handle almost every emergency until the doctor arrives. This course is for 4 years.
This is just a glimpse of options available for medical students with and without NEET after 12th class.
Despite all, always remember there is nothing as important as you are, so choose what you feel is your calling, what you want to do, believe in yourself no matter what and achieve greater things in life.
Image Credits: Google Images
Thank you, bhaanu ma’am. Very engaging to read. Now my vision is clearer. Will thank you after my admission
Yahi chaia tha mam , padd ke maza aya
I loved the way the detailed information is inlayed in such a pleasant way to read and understand. So very educative, thx. for sharing.🌹