One new (district Mohali) tests positive today (April 8, 2020). Jawaharpur village, Derabassi now alone owns 21 total coronavirus cases. This takes the total tested positive to an alarming 37- HIGHEST IN PUNJAB. their 142 contacts had come into picture.
Distrct administration has sealed this village along with others, namely Devigarh and Mehmudpur. Seventy-five police personnel with three PCR vehicles ensure zero mobility here.
None of the COVID-19 patients in the village has any travel history. Deputy Commissioner Girish Dayalan added that some of the Tablighi Jamaat members stayed in the village but left before anything more could be known about them. They had interactions with Sarpanch’s factory workers. This is seen as a probable cause of spread of infection.
As per reports in The Tribune dated April 4, 2020, this Panch was the first to test positive first positive. A list of twenty-two close contacts were traced who have tested positive. Fifteen are his extended family members including the father (64 years), younger brother (38 years), and wife (43 years). The present Sarpanch also tested positive. All age between 12–50 years have been admitted to Gian Sagar Hospital, Banur.
He said that for each positive contact, the team had been tracing and testing 25-55 people. “We are not hiding the numbers. We are fighting the invisible enemy and winning against the disease by making it visible through extensive testing. There is no need for panic but I will stress the need for taking all precautions as mandated by the government,” he added.
- 118 samples were collected from the village
- 11 samples tested positive (4 samples from the panch’s family)
- 80 samples tested negative
- 75 samples are awaited
1,000-Bed Quarantine Facility
The Mohali administration and a private university have collaborated to set up the state’s largest COVID-19 isolation facility at Gharuan. There are a thousand beds. Separate arrangements for doctors and other paramedical staff are available.
Even after strict curfew impositions, the number of new positive coronavirus cases in Punjab are increasing. As on April 8, 2020, the total count in the state has reached 106. Seven new patients were reported yesterday.
The reports state the following number of cases in districts of Punjab:
|District||No. Of Positive Cases||Deaths|
- Jalandhar: One of the new patient is the son of a 72-year-old woman who had previously tested positive. He was discharged from a few days back when his test result came out negative. But, he complained of respiratory trouble on Sunday and was admitted to the civil hospital again. Another case (Stage III) is of a 58-year-old man from Mittha Bazar. Presently, total count in the city is eight.
- Faridkot: The new case is the primary contact of the first patient of the city. Both are under treatment at Guru Gobind Singh Medical College and Hospital with reports of stable condition.
- Muktsar: The district’s first novel virus patient is an 18-year-old Tablighi Jamaat attendee. He came back to Muktsar on March 18, 2020 and was tested positive on Wednesday.
- Ropar: A 55-year-old man from Chatamali village died on Wednesday. He was admitted to GMSH, Chandigarh on March 31, 2020. Later, the distict’s first coronavirus patient was shifted to the PGIMER.
News Source: The Tribune
Image Source: The Tribune