Haryana will soon have a place solely dedicated to inspire scientific temper. Indian Ministry of Culture has approved a plan to set up Rs 200 crore state-of-the-art Science City in Haryana. The two cities being considered for the location are Sonepat and Gurugram (Gurgaon).
The reason for considering the two cities are two-fold. One being availability of enough open land for development of sprawling Science City and second being absence of any such Science City in NCR and around. The closest Science City to NCR is in Kapurthala and Lucknow.
Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar met Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma and latter has given in-principle approval for the proposal. The Science City will be developed under the aegis of the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) under the Ministry of Culture.
About 45-acre land, adjoining the Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology near Sonepat, has already been identified for the purpose. A team of experts from NCSM has already inspected the site in January 2017 and found it suitable for the Science City with some modifications but the final decision is still awaited.
The proposed Science City in Haryana is to be built on a more ambitious scale than Kolkata’s Science City, which is restricted to 49.6 acres and was set up in 1997.
What the Science City will Have?
- Thematic galleries on climate change, biodiversity, cutting-edge science and technology, nanoscience, biotechnology and robotics.
- Fun science gallery, comprising hands-on interactive exhibits, explaining various aspects of science and technology
- High-voltage spark theatre
- Interactive demonstrations
- Laser Show
- 3D/4D/5D science-show facilities, virtual reality exhibits, simulator,
- Space theatre for immersive experience,
- Digital panorama on biodiversity,
- Various science-based educational activities for students and common people
- Inflatable dome planetarium
- An auditorium and conference rooms for screening science-based films and holding seminars on scientific topics.
The project is planned for completion by December 2018.
Existing Science Cities
- Science City, Kolkata in West Bengal
- Lucknow-based Regional Science City in Uttar Pradesh,
- Pushpa Gujral Science City at Kapurtala, Punjab; developed by Council of Pushpa Gujral Science City, Punjab with financial assistance from the Culture ministry.
- Gujarat Science City at Ahmedabad; developed by Gujarat Council of Science City, Gujarat with financial assistance from the Culture ministry.
Next will be the turn of Guwahati in Assam.
The Science Cities Scheme of Ministry of Culture provides for setting up of Science Cities in all the states of the country subject to availability of funds for this purpose. States desirous of setting up a Science City under the scheme have to provide land, share the cost of setting up of facilities and corpus for upkeep and maintenance, and meet other commitments under the scheme.
Source: The Indian Express
Image Credits: Google Images