- The Gian Sagar Medical College and Hospital is facing a financial crisis. The faculty has not been paid their salaries since seven months.
- It has not been able to pay its pending liabilities, pegged at over Rs 100 crore, at emergency and other medical facilities at the hospital due to which it has come to a standstill.
- Even power connection of the college has also been snapped due to pending electricity bills worth Rs 2 crore.
- The management has not renewed its annual maintenance contract due to pending liabilities of Rs 18 crore.
- The family members of Pearls Group owner, Nirmal Singh Bhangoo, governs the college. Bangoo himself is currently facing several charges in a Rs 45,000 crore ponzi scheme scam.
The plight of students at Gian Sagar Medical College and Hospital
The classes have been suspended since February 25. As per the MCI (Medical Council of India) ruling, if classes are suspended for more than two months then the session will be delayed by six months.
A student retorts, “If we don’t have classes for a month or so, we will have six months more added to our year due to shortage of attendance, which will affect our career badly.” Students retort that even having paid full fees, their future is dark.
The desperate parents now want their wards shifted from Gian Sagar Medical College.
Source: Hindustan Times